Technology Development Line Manager – (Ruby or Python)
Our client is a Finance company supplying finance for international postgraduate students at the world’s best universities, whilst delivering competitive financial and social returns to alumni, institutional and private investors.
A Global company with their head office in London and much of the team based in Cape Town. There is also an office in New York and team members based across Europe and Asia.
Funded by some of the best, pre-eminent institutions in the world.
Be part of an energetic, extremely fast-growing company. Help build a product which makes a very real difference in the world. Be a part of delivering socially responsible financial services to the masses.
A small non-hierarchical team which means you are going to get exposure to all aspects of the business immediately and have a huge influence on scaling the company.
- Be a part of a pioneering global growth company
- Experience the excitement and learn from being part of an incredibly fast-growing young company enjoying exponential growth.
- Be pivotal in scaling the business by identifying smart solutions and partners with tech at the heart of it
- Enjoy the agility and flexibility offered by a start-up culture. A sociable, relaxed and friendly work environment to work
- Make a real impact on the business and experience a steep learning curve with huge opportunities to grow and develop
- Gain an inside perspective on the functioning of a venture-backed FinTech start-up, backed by top VCs, learn day-to-day management and build functional expertise
- Build a platform that helps to make a very real difference in the world
What you will do in the role
As a Development Line Manager, you will be balancing your role as a Software Engineer in an Agile development team with coaching, mentoring and line managing direct reports within a culture of servant leadership.
The Technology Team manages its people development process using a matrix management structure. The team you work in as a software engineer on a daily basis and the software engineers that report to you are likely to be different. This brings different challenges to the role of developing and supporting your line management team’s growth.
Specific responsibilities are to:
- Lead, coach and mentor direct reports and other software engineers that you’ll be working alongside
- Take a leading role in improving the way they work, manage, learn and grow by driving change for the Technology Team as a whole, looking for opportunities to improve.
- Facilitate information sharing among the software engineers directly reporting in to you
- Line manage your direct reports by meeting on a regular basis to support personal development and conduct performance reviews on a quarterly basis
- Offer guidance within your team by solving problems and seeking solutions together with them
- Understand their architecture and why the choices were made. Gain a detailed understanding of the systems your team works on, what other systems they rely on (and why) and what other systems rely on them (and why). Safely lead changes that impact other systems
- Learn the business domain that your team is engaged in, as well as surrounding areas that impact on it. Help design and debate solutions
- Embrace continuous delivery - breaking code up into small deployable units safely and confidently
- Be able to review others’ code and suggest improvements in line with their coding values, and have constructive conversation around code
- Focus on code that is right; well designed, well factored, and maintainable
- Be thoughtful about process; propose changes for the team to execute more effectively
- Help identify team weakness and suggest solutions to how they can be more efficient in their process
- Establish a rapport with the team so they want to ask you questions and collaborate with you
- Actively help your team members to succeed
- Interface with a diverse stakeholder base - business leaders, product development counterparts and partner technology organisations to help deliver a fantastic product experience for their internal and external customers
What you will be measured on
- Ability to lead, mentor and coach your direct reports and the software engineers that you work with
- Ability to lead improvements, all the way to how they work as a whole Technology team
- Your positive impact on your team, direct reports, colleagues, and the Technology team as a whole
- Your effective continuous delivery of software
- Ability to write well designed and concise code and review others’ code
- Ability to interact with stakeholders and understand their needs
- Providing constructive and fair feedback to colleagues
What you need to be great at
- A forward-thinking approach to dealing with current and emerging bottlenecks
- Researching ways to educate the engineering team in new methods and techniques
- Recognising and developing talent, and you have the ability to optimise the engineering team for effectiveness and productivity
- Valuing skills development. You’re a great mentor and teacher that exhibits patience and thoughtfulness in understanding the needs of others and helping them to achieve their goals
- Fostering a culture of continuous engineering improvement through mentoring, feedback, and metrics
- Listening to other people’s ideas openly and appreciate that your idea may not always be correct. Ensure that outcomes are best for the team
- Understanding team dynamics and respecting the other disciplines needed for delivering great software
- Working with a team to utilise all their skill sets on many projects, and have learned that you cannot do it all by yourself (UX, product, testing etc.)
- Empathising with your users and stakeholders by viewing the problem from their point of view
Who we are looking for;
- A track record of leading a high-performance team as a line manager / team lead
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to mentor and coach fellow team members
- 7+ years of full stack web development using object-oriented programming languages and MVC frameworks, preferably Ruby or Python
- Desire and willingness to work in an agile, collaborative, innovative, flexible and team-oriented environment
- Experience working within an Agile environment using test-driven development (TDD)
- Strong foundation on modern DevOps culture and experience with Continuous Delivery practises
- Microservice application development experience
- Experience working with a relational database, for example PostgreSQL
- Extensive development experience with one or more scripting languages
- Experience with building and operating scalable services and platforms
Nice to have;
- Solid DevOps skills including monitoring, testing, automation and integration
- Experience in orchestration tools (Ansible, Chef, Docker, Terraform, Jenkins)
- Experience with distributed systems and services architectures, associated paradigms, and technology stacks including RabbitMQ
- Full stack infrastructure knowledge from front-end to back-end
- Professional fluency in open source tools, including git, Jenkins, and others
- Experience with cloud platforms such as AWS
- Start-up experience. - have to be comfortable with ambiguity, able to wear lots of hats, and adapt easily as they continue to grow
You need to be:
Innovative + Smart
Accountable + Adaptable
Energetic + Fun
Sense of humourApply