Software Engineer – Ruby on Rails, Python or PHP
Our client is a Finance company supplying finance for international postgraduate students at the world’s best universities, whilst delivering competitive financial and social returns to alumni, institutional and private investors.
A Global company with their head office in London and much of the team based in Cape Town. There is also an office in New York and team members based across Europe and Asia.
Funded by some of the best, pre-eminent institutions in the world.
Be part of an energetic, extremely fast-growing company. Help build a product which makes a very real difference in the world. Be a part of delivering socially responsible financial services to the masses.
A small non-hierarchical team which means you are going to get exposure to all aspects of the business immediately and have a huge influence on scaling the company.
- Be a part of a pioneering global growth company
- Experience the excitement and learn from being part of an incredibly fast-growing young company enjoying exponential growth.
- Be pivotal in scaling the business by identifying smart solutions and partners with tech at the heart of it
- Enjoy the agility and flexibility offered by a start-up culture. A sociable, relaxed and friendly work environment to work
- Make a real impact on the business and experience a steep learning curve with huge opportunities to grow and develop
- Gain an inside perspective on the functioning of a venture-backed FinTech start-up, backed by top VCs, learn day-to-day management and build functional expertise
- Build a platform that helps to make a very real difference in the world
What you will do in the role
Get to grips with basic web outputs by providing team support and shadowing senior team members. Support more senior team members on projects and work on own smaller projects. Focus on internal relationships with team members.
Specific responsibilities are:
· Be an integral and trusted member of the tech team
· Be a mentor to new team members and handle a full caseload of hands-on coding/ implementation projects
· Execute a number of projects which contribute to the build of their platform. Take responsibility for coding core-feature implementation projects.
· You classify, store and handle data in accordance with policies
· You take responsibility for the state of the code you both inherit and produce.
· Researching and staying abreast of key technical developments and industry trends and innovations
· Completing reasonable tasks as requested within the broad parameters of the role
What you will be measured on
· Technical acumen; become fluent in Ruby on Rails and learn to work independently on coding projects
· Critical judgement; become a trusted and respected member of the team
· Contribution to the team; deliver the projects on time and be proactive and responsive
· Mindfulness; become aware of how your work and your behaviour impacts the wider result and the impact, not only on the platform build.,
What you need to be great at
· Technical competence; love coding, able to learn new paradigms quickly and look to continuously improve and find better ways of doing things
· Excellent critical judgement; able to make good decisions, be trusted, respected and dependable, be proactive and responsive, ask the right questions, raise flags at the right time, able to prioritize and plan your own individual tasks
· Mindfulness; be considerate of the implications of your work, really care about what you are doing and the impact of your contribution
· Teamwork and team spirit;
Who we are looking for;
· 2 – 4 years’ experience in programming
· 1+ years’ experience in a scripting language such as Rails, Python or PHP, familiarity with concepts such as MVC and have a basic understanding of web frameworks
· Demonstrable track record of working with a relational database, for example PostgreSQL
· You have experimented with open source tools, including github, Jenkins, and others
· Played around with cloud platform such as AWS, Heroku or EngineYard
· Capacity and inclination to learn and you must be passionate about web development.
Nice to have
· Ideally you will have some experience of Ruby on Rails, plus 2 years general work experience as a developer. We will consider you if you have less work experience, but you need to live and breathe open source coding and possess the attributes described, with the potential to become a truly great programmer
· Start-up experience.
You need to be:
· Innovative + Smart
· Accountable + Adaptable
· Energetic + Fun
· Sense of humour