Senior Software Engineer – (Ruby on Rails)
Our client is a Finance company supplying finance for international postgraduate students at the world’s best universities, whilst delivering competitive financial and social returns to alumni, institutional and private investors.
A Global company with their head office in London and much of the team based in Cape Town. There is also an office in New York and team members based across Europe and Asia.
Funded by some of the best, pre-eminent institutions in the world.
Be part of an energetic, extremely fast-growing company. Help build a product which makes a very real difference in the world. Be a part of delivering socially responsible financial services to the masses.
A small non-hierarchical team which means you are going to get exposure to all aspects of the business immediately and have a huge influence on scaling the company.
- Be a part of a pioneering global growth company
- Experience the excitement and learn from being part of an incredibly fast-growing young company enjoying exponential growth.
- Be pivotal in scaling the business by identifying smart solutions and partners with tech at the heart of it
- Enjoy the agility and flexibility offered by a start-up culture. A sociable, relaxed and friendly work environment to work
- Make a real impact on the business and experience a steep learning curve with huge opportunities to grow and develop
- Gain an inside perspective on the functioning of a venture-backed FinTech start-up, backed by top VCs, learn day-to-day management and build functional expertise
- Build a platform that helps to make a very real difference in the world
What you will do in the role
As a Senior Software Engineer you will be exposed to the functioning of the product, operations and business development teams and you will increasingly take on a leadership and decision-making role. Support more senior team members on larger projects and take ownership of smaller projects ensuring accurate and timely project delivery. Focus on strengthening internal relationships with other disciplines.
Specific responsibilities are to:
· Become an integral and trusted member of the tech team; be a team leader, coach and mentor, decision maker and handle a full caseload of hands-on coding/implementation projects
· Take a leadership and decision-making role in the technical architecture and implementation of the platform build. This includes project prioritization, evaluating technical debt, technical problem resolution and how to incrementally evolve a solution to reach a target architecture while delivering business value
· Execute a number of projects which contribute to the build of their platform. Take responsibility for coding core-feature implementation projects.
· Assume responsibility as a mentor and guide for more junior members of the team
· Researching and staying abreast of key technical developments and industry trends and innovations
· Completing reasonable tasks as requested within the broad parameters of the role
What you will be measured on
· Technical acumen; fluency in Ruby on Rails, deliver great code on time and on budget.
· Critical judgement and leadership aptitude; make great decisions, flag issues early, evaluate and solve problems, communicate strategic and tactical priorities, be a sounding-board for both junior team members and the CTO
· Mindfulness; be aware of how your work and your behaviour impacts the wider result and the impact, not only on the platform build, but on the whole team
What you need to be great at
· Technical competence; love coding, able to learn new paradigms quickly and look to continuously improve and find better ways of doing things
· Excellent critical judgement; able to make good decisions, be dependable, be proactive and responsive, ask the right questions, raise flags at the right time, able to prioritize and plan workloads for the team
· Mindfulness; be considerate of the implications of your work, really care about what you are doing and the impact of your contribution
· Coaching and mentoring;
· Team leading and team spirit;
Who we are looking for;
· 8+ years full stack web development using object-oriented programming languages and MVC frameworks
· Demonstrable track record of working with a relational database, for example PostgreSQL
· Professional fluency in open source tools, including github, Jenkins, and others
· Experience of cloud platform such as AWS, Google Cloud or Azure
· Experience in Agile methodologies (SCRUM)
· Capacity and inclination to learn and must be passionate about web development.
Nice to have;
· Ideally you will have 3 years’ experience of Ruby on Rails, and 8+ years general work experience. You will be considered if you have less work experience, but live and breathe open source coding and possess the attributes described, with the potential to become a great team leader
· Exposure to XP practices (test, TDD, pairing, CD, etc) or a passion to learn to work this way
· Start-up experience.
You need to be:
· Innovative + Smart
· Accountable + Adaptable
· Energetic + Fun
· Sense of humourApply