Production Systems Manager available for new opportunities
Available for any of the following positions: BA, PM, Solutions Architect, Production Systems Manager, IT Manager, CIO from the 1 May 2020 for both Contract and permanent positions from Johannesburg to Pretoria any area.
A goal driven, highly determined and dynamic IT professional with a Masters in IT from the University of Pretoria with a portfolio of technical and non-technical skills; a good communicator (written and verbal) and problem solver; excels in teamwork (both coordination and contribution); with proven experience in full project lifecycle and an array of management knowledge. Good understanding of market dynamics, business principles and practices.
Through initialising several new methods and products, not only the efficiency of the teams was multiplied, but end products substantially improved in stability and quality saving time in the long run because maintenance releases were needed less frequently.
I am seeking a challenging role in a progressive and meritocratic environment, which will enable me to continue undertaking my responsibilities as an IT specialist.
UNIVERSITY OF PRETORIA M.IT - MASTERS IN IT 2017
UNIVERSITY OF PRETORIA B.SC. COMPUTER SCIENCE (INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY) 1999
HOËR SHOOL SP CR SWART YEAR 12 / GRADE 12 / MATRIEK 1995
BYTES EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION IN THE WORKPLACE 2015
DYNAMIC SEMINARS COMMUNICATION SKILLS TRAINING 2015
BYTES MS EXCEL 2013: DATA ANALYSIS 2015
BYTES MS PROJECT 2013 2014
BYTES PROJECT PRINCIPALS 2014
LEARNING TREE PROJECT MANAGEMENT 2008
INTASOFT ALLCHANGE CM TOOL 2007
PTP Communication skills 2004
Oracle South Africa Oracle 9i PL/SQL Fundamentals 2002
MGX Rational ‘Clear Case’ and RUP 2002
Sage USA Sage Developer: Customise Sage Acuity 1999
Masters in IT – University of Pretoria January 2015 – December 2016
This course is designed with the CIO in mind and students are selected very carefully, usually only 40 students per annum out of about 300 applicants.
The course consists of class work and a mini-dissertation and the final mark was 65.72%.
MIT835 Information and knowledge management
MIT842 Computer science in perspective
MIT843 Information in perspective
MIT850 Life-cycle and maturity models for IT
MIT851 Digital economy
MIT852 ICT project management
MIT853 Corporate IT systems
MIT860 ICT infrastructure management
MIT862 IT research
MIT841 Organisational behaviour and management
MIT864 IT financial management
MIT844 Strategic ICT management
MIT880 Mini-dissertation 880
XXX – Production Systems Manager (South Africa) February 2020 – April 2020
During this short time he implemented several IT procedures and guidelines to:
• Ease pressure on the Systems Support team
• Reduced the customers’ open support call backlog from over 600 items to less than 40.
• Implemented a shift roster for support staff to cover both African and Europe business hours.
• Implemented a new ticketing system using MS Azure DevOps, MS Forms and MS Flow Automation
• Better manage Production server maintenance down time
• Negotiated and Introduced Daily downtime schedules, not always used but were implemented nonetheless
• Formalise new releases into Production
• Setup a procedure and check list that the Development and QA teams had to comply with before a new release could be moved to production.
Reason for Leaving: Retrenched Due To Economic Downturn (COVID-19).
XXX - (South Africa) June 2018 – January 2020
The company focused on all IT and Business related projects. From business analysis to SME advice, full SDLC to project and programme management. Using cloud, Linux and Windows technologies.
This group of companies has seen phenomenal growth over the past year and required someone to assist in re-engineering the entire business processes involved.
Contracted in to do a full business process analysis of the current “as is” environment and then compile a “to be” process and data map that will Allow the company to grow exponentially.
During the analysis he uncovered and implemented several quick wins to reduce the elapsed time to fulfil an order from 72 hours to just under 12 hours.
Business Analysis and Project Management
• Managing several joint taskforce meetings with all team members from all departments.
• Detail analysis were performed and played back to the business to make sure all team members are on the same page.
• Drawing up proposed project plans to assist the company to complete the entire re-engineering process including the “as-is” and “to be”
• Interacting with third party vendors to map the “to be” process onto SalesForce.
Data Analysis and Cleanup
• Extracted all client data from the old Sage system and reformatted the data to enable students to call each client and confirm / update the data.
• Managing 4 students to continuously call each client to obtain the correct data. Data was captured on paper, approved by each account manager and transferred to Excel to be imported back into the old Sage system.
• Analysed targets each day to track how many clients the students phoned and completed.
Reason for Leaving: Contract Completed Successfully.
Working on the Human Resources (HR) systems separation project. We had to analyse the applications that was used and find suitable alternatives
Data transformation and Migration
• Data analyses and migration was introduced to migrate the required data from the old systems to the new (ETL).
• Several tools were used to make sure the data quality was high, including some Excel and VBA scripts developed by myself.
Business Analysis and Project Management
• Working as BA and PM on the Shares management separation. This data was classed as top secret data.
• Assisting with the vendor on boarding process.
• Performed vital communication functions between client and the project team.
• Managed the daily/weekly stand-up sessions.
• Interfaced with the shareholder participants and programme managers.
• Data interfaces were designed around SAP and Workday reports for import and Excel exports for the financial valuation modelling.
• This project went live on time (30 April 2019) and on budget, making use of ShareForce 360’s application hosted on Amazon Web Services.
• Configured the Programme’s Confluence knowledge management pages.
• Trained several employees on how to use the system.
• Assisting employees to adhere to the standards put in place by performing quality control on the pages generated.
• Assisted in transferring critical design authority PowerPoint packs to Confluence.
• The entire contract was to aligning development with infrastructure and business operations.
Reason for Leaving: Contract Completed Successfully.
XXX – IT Audit
• Performed an IT Audit on the current IT systems and processes in place
• Provided advice on the infrastructure and software that would be required to grow the company from their current 8 hotels to 50 hotels within the next 10 years.
• Presented an infrastructure plan that would save the company R8,000,000 over a 5 year period on IT cost.
Reason for Leaving: Short IT Audit Contract.
XXX - (South Africa) June 2016 – May 2018
IT consulting services in various sectors.
Senior Business Analyst
• LPA – Legal practice act, this is a change that came into effect to better control Legal practices' trust accounts at the banks. This impacted several core banking systems.
• EDP – This was to make sure the bank can report back to the Reserve bank on all of its systems and transactions. This is to prevent any mistakes from happening, from start to finish, during the processes.
• This is a social media site for small businesses in South Africa. It contains articles, Q&A, tagging of other users on the site, etc. and serves as a place for South African businesses to ask questions and gain a lot of knowledge on how to do things in South Africa.
• The bank is acting as an agent on behalf of CIPC and allows anyone to register a company through this interface. This project was to incorporate the annual returns process for companies into the current CIPC tool.
Robotics / Automation:
• This is an ongoing project to automate some of the processes in several areas in the business banking department making use of Blue Prism. The requirements were captured in Confluence.
• This project is an ongoing project to generate a concierge chatbot for the website and Facebook messenger.
• Aligning development cycles in an Agile fashion to business operations.
• Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning around Big Data to find patterns and classes in the data as well as Natural Language Processing for the Chatbot
Reason for Leaving: Contract ended.
XXX - (South Africa) – Contract January 2016 – 31 March 2016
Employed as a Business Analyst in the financial department. The contract was to assist with financial year end influx of Business Intelligence BI requests.
Business Analyst and Data Analysis
• Setting up meetings with business to capture requirements from the business users and translate these requirements into a development requirement document in the Financial BI department.
• Creating MS SQL scripts to extract data and analyse the data if there are any anomalies.
• QA the BI reports developed by the development team.
• Aligning data analysis (BI) and reports to business operations.
Reason for Leaving: Contract was only to assist with the influx of work for Financial Year End.
XXX - (South Africa) May 2012 – November 2015
Multiple business ventures of various sizes. Managing a team of 8 (4 in development and 4 in infrastructure/service desk) we looked after both the operational and non-operational tasks from IT strategy and DR of the group, day to day backups and BI reporting. 70% of my day to day tasks as IT manager revolved around managing my team and the IT requirements, 30% is to build and maintain internal and external relations.
Business Analyst (BA), Systems Analyst (SA), Business Intelligence (BI) and Architect
• Chairing JAD meetings between business owners and IT team to capture requirements.
• Analysing business processes to:
• Better formulate the actual business problems thereby assisting the customer to better understand the “actual” requirement.
• Re-engineer business processes that are more fluent and automated saving time and ultimately money.
• Map redundant software and business processes. This reduced complexity on all levels allowing the software team to focus on business value instead of maintaining superfluous code.
• Managing the convergence of more than 15 apps to make use of a “master” set of data.
• Integrating in-house software with apps like SysPro ERP, MS Outlook, MS CRM, etc.
• Assisting the business and development team in designing BI reports that would make use of SSRS (MS SQL Reporting Services) and SSIS (MS SQL Integration Services). The SSIS packages were used in the ETL process gathering and presenting data from and to in-house and third-party systems. This data was then presented through SSRS in various report forms including graphical dashboards, graphs, PDF, MS Excel, MSWord, etc.
• Introducing various dashboards in each department of the businesses to assist performance and business dynamics. These dashboards were displayed on large 40” – 55” screens in each department and included:
• Live data by the minute – Number of orders and sales, incoming and outgoing calls, packing and shipping slips.
• Daily data – Sales figures, orders to date, percentage reached of monthly targets.
• Analysing various performance problems experienced in the applications used throughout the group (in-house and third party systems). If it was a software problem then re-designing the solutions and assisting the developers in rewriting the code (software code or MS SQL code) to perform better. If it was a hardware problem (slow or over utilised server/network/storage) then re-designing the solutions and assisting the hardware team to solve the problem.
• Assist and manage both software and infrastructure projects.
• Scheduling resources across 4 to 10 simultaneous projects.
• Managing customer expectations and assist the customers in prioritising the projects according to business priority.
• Projects included:
• New solutions development and maintenance of existing solutions.
• The merging of various in-house and third-party software systems to run off a single master data set. This master set contained records of customers and products across the Film Fun Holdings group to increase BI reports and the businesses’ understanding of their customers’ behaviour. This understanding assisted the group in better understanding their customer that led to superior customer relationships, up-selling and cross-selling.
• The opening of branches countrywide.
• Implementing and maintaining infrastructure (Rollout of Win 7, Upgrading of servers, new network models, etc.).
• Continuous feedback to the group on ExCo level on performance and deadlines.
• Managing JAD sessions.
• Communicating with the users of all levels to better understand the business requirements.
• Writing various reports to present information for the monthly board pack, development progress, etc.
• Actively noticing and managing conflict situations whether it be between team members, customers and the IT department, project and business priorities, etc.
• Arranging discounts from R10,000 to R50,0000 with suppliers and contractors.
• Communication to the government and private sector about business and business-related subjects.
IT Manager and Mentor
• Working with the development team and business to introduce monthly release cycles to drive towards an Agile environment.
• Introducing formal development processes and documentation templates to assist in better:
• Capturing of requirements
• Analysis and design
• That led to superior solutions and more satisfied customers
• Mentoring the lead developer enabling him to run JAD sessions without my assistance.
• Ensuring the team’s performance increase over time by introducing new methods and tools.
• Creating and tweaking IT strategies to cement the group in the strongest commercial position.
• Setup and maintain the group’s IT budgets, aligning it to the approved IT and business strategy.
• Outsourcing tasks to external companies and finding the correct companies to outsource.
• Managing and negotiating SLA’s
• Managing and assisting in RFPs (Request for Proposals).
• Mentoring team members in career and personal situations.
• Managing the IT landscape consisting of:
• 300+ IT users dispersed countrywide.
• 40 Servers both virtual and physical.
• 1 SAN fibre connected to a cluster of 3 VM Ware ESX 5.5 servers
• 590 user devices including mobile devices.
• 18 branches connected via Telkom MPLS / VPNs and other methods.
• 3 internet breakout lines (2Mb each, 3 different providers and technologies) load-balanced and QoS.
• 6 PRI, and 37+ BRI lines.
• Enterprise and Customer Relationship Management: vTiger CRM, MS CRM, SysPro, Platinum ERP, Sage ERP.
• Change and Project Management: Confluence, MS Project, Rational Rose, Rational Clear Case, All Change.
• Methodologies: Agile, DevOps, SDLC, UML, OMT, Waterfall (top-down), Spiral.
• Telephone Systems: IVR, VoIP, SIP.
• Language and Databases: R, C#, VB.Net, ASP.Net, MS SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL.
• Operating Systems: Various Linux, Various Windows, ESXi.
• Networks: WiFi, Cat 5 and 6, Firewalls, MDM, MPLS, VPN, POE, SAN, NAS, VLAN, Wireless Radio Networks, Fibre, Metro Ethernet.
• Server Farm: ESX Server Cluster, SAN, TOR Switch, CORE Distro Switch.
Please request full CV for more information.